Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tractor Costume

So last year I was way more on top of things with Carter's outfit purchased sometime in the middle of September, on a hanger in his closet so the wrinkles would fall out, and ready to go. This year, not so much. Thankfully this idea came to me slowly with still enough time to get it finished, so I wanted to share the process in case anyone else feels inspired to make a Halloween costume. (It was inexpensive. We figured less than $10!)



It started with a picture of a dozer/digger cardboard costume on a website I saw. When Jimmy & I decided the implements were too much to handle, I searched again and tried to copy a Kubota tractor picture I found, also using Carter's toy tractors and our real one (in the background below) as inspiration.First some different sized boxes that came in the mail with the Birthday & Christmas gifts I ordered started to resemble a tractor when they were sitting next to each other, so I cut them and taped them together. Then I remembered Jimmy had a can of spray paint for touching up our own (real) tractor.I used the whole can.


Then I painted some bowls and plates, a yellow stripe and piece for the grill on front. Jimmy bought some stickers. I added a triangle and red tail lights to the back. We found some touch lights at Wal-Mart ($1.50 for two, hard to beat!).


Then all the pieces jumped on the box and Wah-lah! Ready for one kid, insert in hole in top. Just kidding, there's really a lot of duct tape, Gorilla tape and hot glue on this little tractor! Carter loves it! It's just a little front heavy, so we're going to try clipping it to his overalls on Halloween night. Happy trick-or-treating!
(Photo of Carter in his costume to come Sunday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment